Below is information from the city on seal coat maintenance costs.
- Trail maintenance: Seal Coat and Crack Seal
- Cost to seal coat trails: 0.20 to 0.25 per sq ft.
- Crack seal: Usually done by City of Highland employees (Crack seal cost or patching will depend on the severity of the condition of the trail)
- How long will seal coat and crack seal last: 5 to 7 years
- Whats the cost to do one mile of Highland trails: One mile of trail with an average width of 8 ft is: 5,280 ft (1 mile) x 8ft = 42,240 sq ft, 42,240 sq ft x .025 = $10,560.00 cost per mile
- Wimbleton optional trails are about 1 mile!
- 10-70-38 – Trail Maintenance -$70,000(General Fund budget)
- 20-43-22- Trail Maintenance – $65,000(Open Space budget)
- Total annual budget: $135,000
- Based off this information, assuming only 1/2 of the trail $135,000 budget goes toward seal coat being $67,500, leaving the other budget amount of $67,500 for crack seal and other major trail repairs Seal Coat $67,500 / $10,560 = 6.39 miles per year Crack seal – other major trail repairs: $67,500 per year Highland has around 18 miles of trails, meaning every 3 years we could seal coat all the trails, with recommendation needing to seal coat and crack seal every 5 to 7 years.
- Weed-eating and weed abatement: We need to work with city staff to get cost and plan on how to handle.