Safety: The trails provide a safer route for kids going to school and athletic events or recreation at the Wimbleton Park (or substitute a park name near you). Trails are safer than a sidewalk. Yes, there are sidewalk alternatives, but a child isn’t going to be killed or injured by a car backing out on a trail, but it is more likely to happen on a sidewalk vs a trail.
Some news releases on cars hitting children in a driveway. Trails are certainly safer than driveways as a means for our children.
All of these were found in just 1-2 Google queries. I am sure you can research more on your own and see many more.
- Child Dies After Being Run Over in Driveway (Utah)
- Spanish Fork boy killed after car backs over him in driveway (Utah)
- 1-year-old hit by car in driveway of Farmington home (Utah)
- Authorities identify 6-year-old girl hit, killed by car in Utah County (Utah)
- Police identify 2-year-old boy killed in New Canaan driveway incident